The Kansas City No Violence Alliance (KC NoVA) is a community collaboration among several organizations committed to reducing violent crime in the urban core. It is spearheaded by a Governing Board consisting of the following organizations: Jackson County Prosecutor’s Office, U.S. Attorney’s Office, City of Kansas City, Missouri, Kansas City Missouri Police Department (KCPD), Missouri Board of Probation and Parole, University of Missouri, Kansas City (UMKC), U.S. Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms (ATF), and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).
Working together, this group is implementing a proven strategy to significantly reduce violent crime. This strategy, known as focused deterrence, has worked in several other communities such as Boston and Cincinnati. A focused deterrence model incorporates three basic elements:
- A moral voice from the community indicating that violence will no longer be tolerated;
- A legitimate and intensive offer of social services to those who want to choose a different path from violent crime; and
- For those who continue to commit violence, a certain and swift response from law enforcement on those individuals and their associates.
- To view presentations regarding focused deterrence, evaluations, stats and more click here.
- Major Rick Smith is the KC NoVA Project Manager. Please feel free to contact him with any questions or concerns at Richard.email@example.com.
KC NoVA Board Members
- To view all board members click here.